Monday, June 7, 2010

Celebrating My Grandfather!




Today is my grandfather's 90th birthday and he is definitely 90 years young!!! He raised 5 sons and 2 daughters (my dad is #2 of the 7) and became the doting grandfather to 6 grandsons and 6 granddaughters and is the doting GREAT grandfather to 6 great grandsons and 3 great granddaughters.

Tiras had insomnia again and we started our day at 3:30 am again, so my brain is far too muddle headed for a really wonderful and eloquent tribute. A few wonderful things about my grandfather include:




  • He is reflective and sensitive and wise


  • He is loving and supportive


  • He is an avid sports fans at all levels--whether he is rooting on the Fighting Irish or cheering for the local high school basketball team, he does so with gusto. In fact, the local high school named him fan of the year and invited him to ride in the player bus for the last game.


  • He is active--still out on the greens playing golf


  • It turns out that I get my enjoyment of number patterns from him (a trait I share with at least one other cousin--Tracy!) He would totally get why I think March 7 and July 3 of this year are cool (because the 3 + 7 = 10 and 7 + 3 = 10) and it's fun to have that in common.


  • He loves history and heritage and has mind boggling memory for detail


  • And one of the sweetest traits is that he adores his bride, my grandmother, and their relationship is a wonderful inspiration!


Happy, happy birthday indeed and here's to a wonderful 10th decade!

1 comment:

  1. So, so glad to see your updates! We are back from our most WONDERFUL vacation and so glad to see things are going well for the Burtons, far, far away. You don't mention details of the trip there . . . I'm hoping that was fine (certainly was covered in prayer) and that everyone did well. Best to all and happy birthday to your dear grandfather too!

    Best blessings,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Welcome Friends and Family to It Is Well. Comments are welcome. I will moderate comments before publishing them because sometimes rather wacky things can happen out in the old blogosphere. Anonymous posts are welcome too, but don't forget to sign your name so we know who dropped by! Ok, then, here we go!