Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday This and That











Note: Adding several images of the boys doing their swim lessons with Teacher Mark in August since I first mentioned their swim lessons in this blog entry. In October, Micah swam by himself for the first time. There is also a video at the end of this post depicting Micah happily going under the water, which was a big breakthrough for him at the time!
*
We are all breathing a big sigh of relief at the peaceful election that occurred here Wednesday. There is an interesting article in the New York Times for any interested in reading a bit more about what has been afoot here. August 4 may prove to be a very historic day for Kenya.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/06/world/africa/06kenya.html?_r=1&ref=africa

Micah started swim lessons this week and really likes his teacher. We started with semi-private hour long lessons with our neighbor and switched it up yesterday to a half hour private lesson for each kidlet. They both did really well with the new format and Micah announced to me yesterday, "Mark's a really good swim teacher." Tiras is scheduled to start his swim lessons next week. He LOVES the water and is ready to dive in even now, so I think swim lessons could prove to be a huge hit with him.

Speaking of Tiras, he is over his diaper changing antics. His energies are now directed to adamant self feeding. It's a messy time, but he is surely determined to get this skill. He also says "thank you" on such a regular basis, which is cute. (He pronounces it: Thike You!) He also said "walk, walk" the other day and headed over to his stroller. I was quick to oblige the request and off we went on a walk outside the compound. So exciting to have him using words. He is really a fun and jolly little kiddo. He thinks it is hilarious to hide from me in the curtains, etc. His other passion is kicking the ball around. Last week, a couple of our daytime guards would kick the ball to him and he would just giggle and run all over dribbling the ball with his feet. Hard to believe he was just CRAWLING when we arrived and now he runs around like he's in the World Cup!

Micah is such a fun and sweet mix of old soul and exuberant kiddo. He loves playing with other kids and I think he is going to really enjoy having school start in September and getting to meet even more peers. He has suddenly started saying "antimals" for animals and airily dismisses my pronunciation corrections with, "Well, that's how I say it." He also made me laugh today when he finished macaroni and cheese at lunch (brought back from Atlanta by Deron and dubbed "Atlantic Macaroni and Cheese" by Micah) and with utter delight and glee said he was going to be chubby like Winnie the Pooh!!! His joy and exuberance is just infectious and I wish I had a video camera running all the time so I could capture that big smile and the dancing eyes.

Deron remains really busy with work, but is out in the field today and always loves getting those opportunities, so the week is ending on a particularly satisfying note for him. As for me, there have been many happy moments this week. Today, I am proud of myself for a) finally breaking down boxes that have been sitting around here for weeks and b) soaking my potatoes in veggie wash so that they will be ready for chopping tonight come dinner preparation. It's the kind of thing I could see myself forgetting to do and then being flustered when I have to slow down the cooking and chopping process to do the more lengthy cleaning prep required over here.

In literary news, I have switched from my 700 page book on Africa to the 550 page book, Africa: Altered States, Ordinary Miracles. I look forward to reading the former down the road, but I just could not resist the book endorsed by Alexander McCall Smith and with a forward by Chinua Achebe. Have so far only read the forward because days somehow are so full and fast here, but am excited to read more. And you gotta figure 1250 pages of history and anecdotes is going to find me no expert, but certainly knowing a lot more than I do now and having some better context for taking in the world around me.

Happy weekend to all and here is a day early celebratory wish to my parents: congratulations on 45 years of marriage!!! Your love for each other is inspiring and you created such a warm and loving home for us! Sending tons and tons of love to you from across the miles, on this special day and always!!! Happy Anniversary and thank you for being such a wonderful blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Friends and Family to It Is Well. Comments are welcome. I will moderate comments before publishing them because sometimes rather wacky things can happen out in the old blogosphere. Anonymous posts are welcome too, but don't forget to sign your name so we know who dropped by! Ok, then, here we go!