Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Micah Moments and Tiras Tidings

I think it is safe to say that Micah likes school. Parents from the early years right up on through high school are invited to join their kids for lunch each day. In Micah's case, lunch is after the end of his school day, so we eat lunch and head home. He has been opting to hang around his older friends longer and longer each day. Today, when we finally headed home, he had a somewhat downcast demeanor. Why so glum? Had something gone awry at school? No, far from it. He was sad he had to leave and proceeded to explained to me that he wished he were Year One (equivalent of Kindergarten) so that he could stay a full day. And a couple days ago, he expressed abject horror upon learning that they had a week of vacation for "half term" at the end of October. Yes, the boy likes school very much. He seems to enjoy his teacher and the schoolwork, but the favorite part of school is all the good friends he has there, ranging in age from two to almost eight. Have I mentioned that I love how the kids intermingle across class levels at this school? Love it! And the high schoolers are so friendly and gentle with the younger kids. It's really, really great!!!!

In othe Micah news, and passing along something that amused me a bit, I was recently in the dog house with Micah. Allow me to share the conversation I overheard between Micah and Daddy at the dining room table after dinner:
M: I'm so disappointed.
D: Why?
M (archly): I think you know. (this line, in particular, cracked me up)
M (continues as Daddy feigns ignorance): It starts with MOM and (upon my entry to the dining room, he hesitates, but then continues, undeterred) ends with she made me go places I didn't want to go. Twice.
D (amused): Wait a minute. It starts with Mom and ends with her making you go some place you didn't want to go. What's in the middle?
M: In the middle, I was very, very mad.
(End on two parents laughing)

I must have fairly quickly fallen out of disfavor because when Micah learned I was resting on the couch with a stomach ache, he hurried over and asked to take a look at my tummy. After having a look, he suggested that he might rub my tummy and see if that made it feel any better. He then said, "And if that doesn't work, tell me and I'll come up with another solution." (I was touched by how sweet he was and also a little bemused and bowled over by the use of "solution". He is so my little four going on forty kiddo at times!)

As for Tiras, wow! He is getting so big and independent. He managed to grow two molars without my realizing it until they had broken through! He is exuberant and active and loves to go "side" (outside) after requesting "shoe" (as in, please fetch and then put on my shoes so we can get this show on the road!)

I will leave you with this parting image, which Deron and I find adorable. At grace each night, Micah closes us out with a special thanks to God. One night he thanked God for making space and for making space so big. A lot of the items are really sweet and touching! Meanwhile, Tiras has started joining us. There is so much cuteness in seeing a little guy fold his hands and close his eyes and then mumble away in his own little language while we are saying grace. It was all his own idea, not something we have been urging him to do. Very sweet! Very cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Friends and Family to It Is Well. Comments are welcome. I will moderate comments before publishing them because sometimes rather wacky things can happen out in the old blogosphere. Anonymous posts are welcome too, but don't forget to sign your name so we know who dropped by! Ok, then, here we go!