Monday, August 22, 2011

On Structure, "Home Schooling" of Sorts, and And a Fun Link

I do really, really love me some structure. I think last year was a bit of a fog for me wherein I was just often a step or two behind and unable to feel like I was on top of just about anything. After a year of learning and a respite in the U.S., I am finding that I am much more efficient and comfortable here. I have lots of systems in place and systems make me such a happy, happy camper! (Systems can be as simple as figuring out "pick up sites" for objects that need to go up or downstairs; how to stay on top of menu planning, inventory of stuff like diapers, etc.,or a monthly day to deep clean and seriously organize the playroom. Basic, but EVERYTHING had to be figured out last year and now it all feels much more manageable and doable.)

As for home schooling, I am just referring to super cool materials I just ordered for Tiras. There are great resources for activities with toddlers. We have decided to keep him home one more year and I am really looking forward to having some structured activities with him! (Yep, there's that word again!) I even ordered a lesson plan book so that I can have each week's activities blocked out in advance so that all my good intentions don't simply remain intentions but actually turn into actions!

My Little Student To Be



As for the fun link, there is a missionary family that just moved here from North Carolina. They have four kids, two of which are pretty close in age to Micah and Tiras. They are keeping a blog and it has all sorts of fun and wonderful details about life here in Kisumu. Wish I had been so clever, but having missed that boat, am totally delighted someone else was and gave me the go ahead to link to their blog so you can check out everything from matatu names they've spied, to observations about the different foods here to typical moments they've entitled "Only in Kenya". It's definitely a slice of life here in Kisumu and really well done and fun to read. Enjoy!

http://www.theagapepages.blogspot.com

And, I just can't help but geek out over the fact that I am doing my first ever link insert. So very exciting! :-) Edited to add that my link did not seem to work so I just cut and paste their blog address. Hmph!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Friends and Family to It Is Well. Comments are welcome. I will moderate comments before publishing them because sometimes rather wacky things can happen out in the old blogosphere. Anonymous posts are welcome too, but don't forget to sign your name so we know who dropped by! Ok, then, here we go!