Monday, July 5, 2010

First Month

July 3 actually marked one month here in Kisumu, so I am a little late with this post.

Still, to celebrate our one month mark, I thought I would share this little anecdote. The other day I had this moment of thinking, "Hey, maybe I really am adjusting" when I looked at our neighbor's little motorized Bar*bie car and thought the steering wheel looked funny and was on the wrong side. Then I realized that the wheel was actually on the left side as the toy came from the U.S. Which means that cars here, with their steering wheels on the right side, are starting to seem more usual to me. (If I had a dollar for every time I have attempted to board a car through what is usually the passenger side but is now the driver's side, well, I could certainly order myself a Jacque*s Torres cookie mix or two!)

Which doesn't mean that I will actually be hopping behind the wheel any time soon. BUT, it was an encouraging sign that my brain is starting to process the reverse side driving and reverse side design of cars.

Boys are doing well and making me smile. Tiras is walking up a storm and having a ball doing so. Micah is very proud of him.

Here's a little Micah anecdote. We read a few different Leo Lionni books together yesterday and he really liked them. At dinner I asked him if he wanted to tell Daddy what his books were about. He immediately launched in to the following report:
"One is about a crocodile!" (and then he loudly started snapping his teeth several times)
"One is about RIBBET, RIBBET, frogs."
(the other two were about a snail and a mouse, so I was curious what he would do)
"One is about," and here his eyes widened as he realized his dilemma. Having started to describe his stories in this sound effect format, he definitely wanted to end consistently. But what to do?
Then he started moving his head and shoulders around in a slow manner and slowly said, "a snnnnaaaaaiiiilll." He added further clarification, "Snails talk slowly."

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend! Much love from Kisumu!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Friends and Family to It Is Well. Comments are welcome. I will moderate comments before publishing them because sometimes rather wacky things can happen out in the old blogosphere. Anonymous posts are welcome too, but don't forget to sign your name so we know who dropped by! Ok, then, here we go!