Monday, July 12, 2010

Nice Moments

Even with Deron away at a conference, and with missing the big Nelson gathering to celebrate my grandfather's 90th, there have been some nice moments of late. In no particular order:
  • Tiras had a fussy night and I was worried it might have disturbed Micah's sleep. When he woke up and I asked him if he had had a tough night, he answered that he had slept, "peaceful as a lion". (This example no doubt came to mind so readily because we went back to Impala Park yesterday and he got to see his beloved lion and cheetahs again and the lion was napping quite peacefully. The cheetahs were in repose too, for that matter.)
  • On Saturday morning, one of our compound neighbors was heading out with her dogs to go on a walk. We joined her with Tiras in a stroller and Micah on a big wheel type toy. The morning air was cool, the flowers plentiful, and the joyful and exuberant pedalling of Micah a happy sight to behold.
  • On Thursday, a wonderful new friend here took me and the boys on a tour of Kisumu wherein we got to see the two main roads and find out where various useful places are located (such as a butcher and a great place for milkshakes, and etc) The best part was our stops to a craft market and to an open air market. At the former I got a few items I really love and have my eye on a few more. At the latter I got all sorts of sweet mangoes and yummy avocadoes and even a couple of butternut squash which I plan to cook for dinner tonight. Simple but good stuff.
  • On Wednesday night, same wonderful new friend brought over two other great women and chocolate chocolate chip muffins so I would have company and chocolate to cheer me up on the night of Deron's departure. How thoughtful and great is that?
  • On Friday, we had a swim playdate. Seeing Micah joyfully splash around in the water is a happy, happy thing!

These past two weekends have probably been my toughest yet (Fourth of July followed by a Husband Away and a Missed Giant Family Gathering will tend to up the ante on the old homesickness), but there are definitely these moments of grace even in the slumps.

And today we stopped by our neighbor's home to have a playdate with the dogs. Our neighbor's mom is home during the days and it was nice for me and for the boys to get to visit with her.

Every day we get a little more settled. Every time I get out and about, I definitely appreciate being here that much more. We are hoping for a couple of weekend get-aways that don't require a car* and I think that will be a great thing for our morale.

Deron is very busy with work but very, very happy to be right exactly here doing right exactly this. And that is a very good thing indeed!

*Our buyer bid on a car, so the process is moving along. Shipping seems to take a while. Here's hoping we have the car by late August.

1 comment:

  1. Okay. I just, for the 2nd time, was in the midst of a long entry and it disappeared. I think this is my new laptop which is 'smarter' than I want it to be and occasionally reads my wrist abouve the mousepad as a direction to do something I am not directing! Did you get my first interrupted post? The end couldn't have made sense b/c I had gone back up to add something, leaving the bottom in a scramble. It is lovely to be able to talk with you. I'm going to try the post office and my other email also and together we can sort out the very best way.

    Thank you so much for the beautiful video of Tiras walking!!!! and for all of the news which i am treasuring. I love you so much. Back soon, Darcy

    ReplyDelete

Welcome Friends and Family to It Is Well. Comments are welcome. I will moderate comments before publishing them because sometimes rather wacky things can happen out in the old blogosphere. Anonymous posts are welcome too, but don't forget to sign your name so we know who dropped by! Ok, then, here we go!