Saturday, July 17, 2010

Surprises

Note: There are a couple new posts that I couldn't put up due to internet being down. See below.

I have had some surprises this week.

Perhaps of greatest import, I was surprised this weekend to find that I have really started to feel at home here in Kisumu. Rather than wondering how long two years here might feel, I suddenly find myself excited that we get at least two years to live here.

Deron has been away for a week and a half attending a conference back in Atlanta. We didn't realize he'd be going to this conference and it was not the most delightful surprise I have ever had. But somewhere between the blues of having to say goodbye to him and this weekend, I started to feel good about functioning here in Kisumu on my own. (on my own, but with a lot of help from friends here!) I think unconsciously I had been sort of existing for Deron to get home from work and for the weekends. Having him gone for an extended time was just the nudge I needed to start making a bit more of a life here. Just simple things, like those morning walks. But the simple things added up and I am a lot more content here!

But that wonderful development achieved--I am so ready and excited to have Deron back. Which brings us to our most recent surprise--Deron's return has been delayed by a day because his flight out of Atlanta was delayed for several hours due to mechanical difficulties and his Nairobi connection was missed. So rather than having Deron in Nairobi tonight and coming home Sunday morning, he will be in London tonight flying to Nairobi tomorrow and flying to Kisumu Monday morning. I hope he isn't too wiped out by this extension of travel mode!

I also had a somewhat funny surprise, courtesy of Micah. I think of it as "The Not So Constant Gardener" incident.

Wednesday afternoon, Micah spotted a hose and asked if he could water plants in our common area. It was fine with the gardener and the guards even helped Micah attach the various hose segments so that he could walk all over the grounds watering plants. I was pleased he was having such a good time and doing something so constructive. I even congratulated myself on being such an easygoing mom and not fussing about him getting wet or getting somewhat muddy clothing. "What a fun mom I am!" thought I. "And what a lovely afternoon this has been for us all."

Cue to some half hour later when I discover muddy handprints on the sheers in our living room. Upon further examination of the muddy sheers, I discover a hose has been shoved through our window. I look down at the floor upon which I am standing and discover a massive puddle of water. Yes, my dear little gardener, at the end of his watering session, evidently thought it would be interesting to see what might happen if he put the hose in our window. In a Curious George episode, the water had filled the house and to such a depth that things floated all over and a person could even swim. What fun to try this out at home!

Cleaning up the mess wasn't so funny and the unsettling notion that Micah was not terribly remorseful about it, but rather, very interested in the result of his experiment and quite possibly apt to repeat it wasn't so funny either. But I gotta say, when the guards and neighbors asked about the hose in our window and I tried to evenly explain what happened, it was a little funny to see Micah's eyes dancing as I talked and then have him burst in with a delighted, "The water went all the way to the TABLE!" And to a person, Micah's taking over the story and being so thrilled by what happened always elicited a laugh. And sensing the sympathy of his audience, Micah would then give them backstory about what he had hoped might happen (enough water for Tiras to swim).

Life with my boys may get messy, but it is certainly not dull.

2 comments:

  1. A future gardner! We'll have to get him to the farm when you get back. Sonunds like things are settling in. I have Kisumu weather on my phone and it looks like your getting wet!

    We missed you last weekend but you should know we were thinking of you all.

    Take care, our love to you all!

    Tom & Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh...visiting you at the farm would be WONDERFUL! Mom, Dad, and Kim had such a great time seeing everyone and passed along greetings, which helped us feel a little bit less far away. We missed being with you and were definitely thinking of you all as well!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome Friends and Family to It Is Well. Comments are welcome. I will moderate comments before publishing them because sometimes rather wacky things can happen out in the old blogosphere. Anonymous posts are welcome too, but don't forget to sign your name so we know who dropped by! Ok, then, here we go!