Sunday, April 3, 2011

It's Been A While: 10 Month Review

Amazingly, ten months have passed by since we touched down at the Kisumu airport, loaded our pile of luggage and weary selves into the CDC vehicle picking us up, and drove through our new hometown for the first time. (Well, Deron had been to Kisumu before, but never with the added dimension of it being his home.)

I actually intended to do an eight month review, but internet was down that particular day, which seems only fitting since internet going in and out is such a prevalent reality of life here. I hope when we move back to the U.S. that I don't take things like speedy and reliable Internet for granted. Realistically, I suspect that much like breathing easily and sleeping soundly after a cold, ease of access to Internet will quickly become something I don't think much about.

Life here is really good. There are challenges, to be sure. And there are also moments that are pure magic.

An example of magic occurred this past week when Micah had Cultural Day at his school. Thanks to a high school friend of mine, he was able to don the orange and black of this year's World Series Champion San Francisco Giants! (Many thanks to Shannon for not only suggesting baseball and specifically the Giants when I put out a Facebook plea for ideas as to what Micah might wear to represent U.S. culture, but also for mailing us an awesome and wonderful Cultural Day care package!!!)



And once at school he was surrounded by fellow students and teachers in such wonderful and colorful dress--everything from traditional Ugandan to Indian to Masai to one of the Sons of Liberty from the Revolutionary War (the student I have been tutoring in U.S. history who has made it so much fun due to his interest and enthusiasm!) There was a traditional African dance done by the Year Two and Three Class (ages six and seven)--it was adorable and wonderful and I loved watching the mix of Kenyan and Expat students shake their hips and shoulders and wear the traditional garb all together. I loved the drums playing and the music and the sheer joy and exuberance of it all. The performance was followed by a circle dance done by all the students and teachers who cared to join in and it was great.

There was also a traditional Punjabi wedding dance performed by some of the students. After their performance, the teacher hosting the cultural day activities praised the performance and then asked how many people had enjoyed the music and would like to dance to that music. Upon seeing a massive sea of hands raised, she cued the music once again and invited the audience to do just that. To see a mass of students and teachers of all different nationalities race out to the field to dance together so joyfully was a sight I will always cherish. They were such a mix of ethnic groups and ages and I watched some of the Indian teen dancers helping younger girls learn their moves. I watched our neighbor bring her almost four year old daughter to the field and teach her some moves. I watched Micah dancing his heart out from his perch atop a hill. There was so much joy on that field and not to get all "kumbaya-ish" or anything, but there really was a wonderful unity amidst a celebration of this world's rich diversity. And it was magic! And THAT kind of moment is what I hoped for for our boys and for us and THAT kind of moment and day is why I am so excited we get to be here.

I feel like I am getting the hang of living here. There is still so much to explore and learn and discover. But it feels like home and I am sitting here typing with a giant grin on my face because I am still so amazed to find myself getting to have this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Friends and Family to It Is Well. Comments are welcome. I will moderate comments before publishing them because sometimes rather wacky things can happen out in the old blogosphere. Anonymous posts are welcome too, but don't forget to sign your name so we know who dropped by! Ok, then, here we go!